How to Redirect Your Domain Name
For small businesses exclusively using social media as their online presence, connecting a domain name as a web address for your social media page may increase web traffic.
In this article you will learn:
- Benefits of Redirecting a Domain Name
- Easy Step by Step Process to Forward a Domain Name
It’s easy to use your domain name to forward to a social media or e-commerce page. Some of the benefits are:
- A consistent web address for your business regardless of which social network you use (or switch to down the line).
- A memorable company web address to use for marketing. After all, you want to build your brand, not the social media site’s brand.
Web forwarding (or redirecting) is just like forwarding mail. It’s a way of creating a rule that all visitors to your domain name (e.g. JudysGoodies.net). should be directed to a web location of your choice. You can change it at any time.
Web forwarding (or redirecting) is just like forwarding mail. It’s a way of creating a rule that all visitors to your domain name should be directed to a web location of your choice.
Here’s an easy step-by-step process to forward your domain name to your social media or e-commerce page (all domain name service providers are a little different, but should be fairly similar):
- Log into your account (where you registered the domain name)
- Find "Domains" and click on "Manage"
- Click on the domain name you would like to redirect
- Look for "Domain Forwarding" or "Forwarding" section
- Click "Add New"
- Enter the URL of the social media or online directory page you'd like to redirect your domain name to in the "Forward To" or "Destination URL" field. (Remove the "http://www." or "https://www.")
- If there is a forwarding setting option, select either:
- Forwarding Only: Prevents your domain name URL from displaying in the web browser's address bar. This is not the best solution if you are trying to increase your natural search rankings.
- Forwarding with Masking: Prevents the forwarded domain name URL from displaying in the browser's address bar, and lets you enter meta tags for search engine crawlers.
Example of how your domain will render using forwarding option:
|Forwarding Options||Visitor types in||Site Visitor Sees||Address Bar Displays|
|Forwarding with Masking||example.com||facebook.com/myexample||example.com|
- Leave "Update my DNS setting to support this change" checked
- Click "Save"
Note: It can take a few hours for the changes to go into effect.