Creating Powerful Website Content
Avg. read time 3 min
Let’s face it: when the content on your website is clear, relevant and organized, you help increase the odds that:
- Your site may rank higher in search engine rankings, and
- Visitors will find it easy to learn about your offering and do business with you.
In other words, powerful website content can be a great way to set your business up for success online.
The process works in this way: When your website is ranked high in search engine results, people searching for businesses like yours will see your site listed above others, increasing the odds that they will visit your site. Once they do visit your site, your site content needs to explain your business clearly so that those visitors are more likely to become your customers instead of moving on to the next listing in search results!
In general, your website content should:
- Be compelling. Will someone visiting your site find your content valuable?
- Be actionable. Make it clear what you want someone to do on your site.
- Be original. That helps from a customer perspective.
- Express who you are. Make sure your brand comes through.
- Describe what you offer. Explain why visitors should buy from you.
Here are five tips to start you on the right path for developing powerful website content for your website:
- Highlight the most important content at the top of the page.
- Use actionable language such as “Download Now” or “Learn More.”
- Incorporate keywords that a consumer may use to find your business via an internet search.
- Make your copy easy to skim. Embed lists or graphics which are easier to read than long paragraphs.
- Make sure you cover the basics for your business, such as contact info and links to your social media.
Check out this helpful visual aide to reference when approaching both content development and website organization.1
1 Christopher Schwartz Wikimedia Commons, Inverted Pyramid